Welcome to SFU.ca.
You have reached this page because we have detected you have a browser that
is not supported by our web site and its stylesheets. We are happy to bring
you here a text version of the SFU site. It offers you all the site's links
and info, but without the graphics.
You may be able to update your browser and take advantage of the full
graphical website. This could be done FREE at one of the following links,
depending on your computer and operating system.
Or you may simply continue with the text version.
FireFox (Recommended) http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
FireFox (Recommended) http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
*Macintosh OS 8.5-9.22:*
The only currently supported browser that we know of is iCAB. This is a free
browser to download and try, but there is a cost to purchase it.
- Book Chapters and Monographs
- 2006. “BC Tsunami Warning: A Toolkit for Community Planning”. British Columbia Provincial Emergency Program, British Columbia Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General.
- 2005. “National Early Warning System: Sri Lanka: Participatory Concept Paper for the Design of an Effective All-Hazard Public Warning System”. LIRNEAsia, Colombo. (with R. Samarajiva, M. Knight-John, A. Zainudeen)
- 2003. “The Wireless Revolution: Emerging Challenges for Integrated Emergency Communications Planning in Canada”, in Herder, P. and W. Thissen (Eds.) Critical Infrastructures: State of the Art in Research and Application. Kluwer, Netherlands. (with Gordon Gow)
- 2003. “Bringing Early Warning to the People: Electronic Technology and The Role of the Internet” in Early Warning Systems for Natural Disaster Reduction . Jochan Zschau, Andreas Kuppers (eds.). Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- 2002. “Critical Infrastructure Protection in the Information Age”, in Mansell, Robin, Samarajiva, Rohan. and Mahan, Amy. (Eds.) Networking Knowledge for Information Societies: Institutions & Intervention. DUP Science. Delft.
- 1999. “Future Opportunities for Communication for Disaster Reduction at the Community Level,” in Ingleton, Jon, ed., Natural Disaster Management , Tudor Rose, Leicester.
- Journals and Professional Publications
- 2009. “Communications Technology, Emergency Alerts, and Campus Safety”, in IEEE Technology and Society Magazine .Volume 28, Number 2. (with Gordon A. Gow, Tara McGee, David Townsend and Stanly Varnhagen).
- 2008. “Common Alerting Protocol Message Broker for Last-Mile Hazard Warnings in Sri Lanka: An Essential Component”, in Proceedings of the 2nd International ISCRAM Workshop, Harbin, China. (with N. Waidyanatha, N. and G. Gow).
- 2008. “Last-Mile Hazard Information Dissemination: Challenges and Opportunities for Sri Lanka”. Asian Disaster Management News, Bangkok. (with N. Waidyanatha).
- 2003. “A General Framework for Mitigation-oriented Planning Assessments of Mobile Telecommunications Lifelines (MRTL)” in Natural Hazards 28. Special Issue: An Assessment of Natural Hazards and Disasters in Canada . Kluwer.(with Gordon Gow)
- 2003. “Satellite communications in disaster management: selected Canadian systems”, in Space Communications 18 , Numbers 3,4. IOS Press. (with James B. Hamilton.)
- 1997. “Virtual Emergency Management Information Systems,” Stop Disasters , No. 32, II.
- 1997. With Robert Stephenson. “Disasters and the Information Technology Revolution,” Disasters: the Journal of Disaster Studies, Policy and Management , Blackwell Publishers, Vol. 21, No. 4, December.
- 1996. “Building Emergency Lanes on Canada’s Information Highway,” Emergency Preparedness Digest , Vol. 23, No. 3, July–September.
- Published Conference Papers
- 2008. “Last-Mile Hazard Warning System in Sri Lanka: Performance of WorldSpace Addressable Satellite Radios for Emergency Alerts”. Proceedings IEEE 1st International WPMC Symposium,Jaipur, India. (with N. Waidyanatha, S. Rangarajan and G. Gow)
- 2007. “Community-based Hazard Warnings in Rural Sri Lanka: Performance of Alerting and Notification in a Last-Mile Message Relay”. Proceedings IEEE 1st International WRECOM2007 Conference and Exhibition, Rome, Italy. (with N. Waidyanatha and G. Gow)
- 2007. “Common Alerting Protocol Message Broker for Last-Mile Hazard Warnings in Sri Lanka: An Essential Component”. Proceedings of the 2nd International ISCRAM Workshop, Harbin, China (B. Van de Walle, X. Li, and S. Zhang, eds.), Pages 59 – 65 (with N. Waidyanatha and G. Gow)
- 2007. “Hazard Warnings in Sri Lanka: Challenges of Internetworking with Common Alerting Protocol”. Proceedings ISCRAM2007, Delft (B. Van de Walle, P. Burghardt, and C. Nieuwenhuis, eds.), Pages 281-293. (with N. Waidyanatha and G. Gow)
- 2003. “Mobile Wireless Networking for Planetary Exploration,” Keynote Topic, ESA Wireless Data Communications Onboard -Spacecraft Technology and Applications Workshop , Noordwijk, The Netherlands. (with S. Braham and P. Lee)
- 2001. “The Wireless Revolution: Emerging Opportunities and Hidden Risks for the Emergency Management Communities,” in Proceedings of the of 5th International Conference on Technology Policy and Innovation: Critical Infrastructures , The Hague, Netherlands, 26-29 June. (with Gordon Gow)
- 2001. “Advanced Emergency Wireless Communications Infrastructures In British Columbia”, in Proceedings of a Workshop on the Canadian Disaster Management Information System, Natural Resources Canada, 22 October.
- 1999. “Canada and Analogue Sites for Mars Exploration,” in Proceedings of the of The Second Canadian Space Exploration Workshop , University of Calgary, 28-29 October. (with Stephen Braham, Pascal Lee, Richard Alena, and Brian Glass)
- 1998. “Use of Electronic Technology in the Early Warning Process, Plenary Session on Public Communication of Warnings,” Proceedings: International IDNDR-Conference on Early Warning Systems for the Reduction of Natural Disasters , Potsdam, Germany, 7-11 September.
- 1996. “Creating Virtual Emergency Operations Centres: The Integration of Fixed and Mobile Emergency Management Information Systems,” in Proceedings of Pan Pacific Conference of Earthquakes, Volcanoes and Tsunamis , Vancouver, 29 July – 2 August.
- Commissioned Research Reports
- 2009. “Peace River Regional District Emergency Communications Study”. Chroma Communications Group Inc. (with Dirk de Jager)
- 2009. “South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority Emergency Communications Review”. Chroma Communications Group Inc. (with Dirk de Jager)
- 2007. “Sri Lanka: Design Considerations for a Mobile Emergency Communications Vehicle”. International Telecommunications Union, Geneva.
- 2006. “Last of the Mile Warning System ICT Assessment and Community Simulation Observation Report”. LIRNEasia, Colombo.
- 2004. “Tsunamis and Coastal Communities in British Columbia: An Assessment of the BC Tsunami Warning System and Related Risk Reduction Practices”. Office of Critical Infrastructure Protection and Emergency Preparedness. (with Gordon Gow)
- 2001. “Enhancing Canadian Emergency Information Exchange Through New Media Applications”. Emergency Preparedness Canada. (with Gordon Gow)
- 2000. “Use of Public Commercial Cellular Telephone Services within the Canadian Emergency Management Community: Prospects and Challenges for the Coming Decade”. Emergency Preparedness Canada. (with Gordon Gow)
- 1999. “Alternative Communication Arrangements for the Ministry of Social Services and Economic Security”. Ministry of Social Services and Economic Security.
- 1998. “Conceptual Framework For A British Columbia Emergency Communication Plan”. British Columbia Provincial Emergency Program, Ministry of Attorney General.
- 1997. “Strengthening Canadian Emergency Preparedness Activities on the Canadian Information Highway: Final Report” Emergency Preparedness Canada.
- Research in Progress
- Next-generation emergency communication systems to support community-based response to disasters.
- Assessing inter-municipal emergency communication requirements within the Metro Vancouver Region.